[Rabbit-dev] ad blocking

Robert Olofsson robert.olofsson at khelekore.org
Sun Dec 26 17:25:03 CET 2010

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 14:58:13 -0500
Luis Soltero <lsoltero at globalmarinenet.com> wrote:

> The idea is to first check the url against a the tables...If there is a hit then you execute the Block/NoAd.Gif action.
> If there is no hit then you fall through to the regex evaluation as you do now.

Ok, I have made a first attempt at blocking based on sql lookup for the
hostname. (I am not fully clear if you only want the hostname or if you
want to use more of the url).

This far it is only blocking requests, there is no ad-filtering going on.

The changes this far are in a way quite big.
In order to ease database handling in different parts I have moved to
using DataSources that can be configured in rabbit.conf, so if you want
to try it you have to check the changes I have mad in rabbit.conf.
This change also affects the SQLAuthenticator, so check it's configuration
as well.

Now I really feel like I should fix the class loading so that database
drivers can used more easily. But that will have to wait a day or two.

Very, very lightly tested, but I would be happy if anyone else could
take a look and see how it looks this far, but note that it is likely
to crash and burn.

Get the latest source from git:
git clone http://www.khelekore.org/rabbit/rabbit.git
(or just "git pull" if you already have a clone).

/robo