[Rabbit-dev] Rabbit-dev Digest, Vol 18, Issue 3

Robert Olofsson robert.olofsson at khelekore.org
Mon Aug 22 18:28:14 CEST 2011

On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 20:40:36 -0400
Rick Leir <rickleir at leirtech.com> wrote:

> I'm interested to see an aggregated ratio of client traffic to what it
> would have been without RabbIT. The ratio would tell us how much RabbIT
> is helping. Maybe it would be possible to post-process the logs to get
> that; how would you do it?

I have been trying to figure that one out myself for many years, but I
have not found any good way to express the actual network traffic changes.
If you use the new traffic loggers you can probably do some post processing,
but the problem is that when rabbit sends data from the cache the data is
already compressed so we would need to figure out the original size of the
data, for images we can find that in the access log, but not for text
resources.

In short I am not sure, I have always just used the slow connection and
used wall clock time to see if rabbit seems to work or not.

/robo