[Rabbit-dev] jpeg conversions not working

Luis Soltero lsoltero at globalmarinenet.com
Wed Aug 31 16:25:24 CEST 2011

both convert and gm are in the same place.  What is really strange is that conversion of jpgs does happen but not
always.  Other websites seem to be ok.  amazon for example is very nicely compressed.  cnn.com is the one that seems to
be most problematic.

i have manually done a get on the images and done the convert and gm manually and the image gets resampled correctly.

I don't think the problem is with the execution of the conversion.  Its seems like the proxy is failing to detect that
the image needs to be converted.

I am positive I am using the config I think I am using.  The log files and the cache get created in specific locations.
Also the proxy runs in a specific port.  Modifying the config affects these settings so I know that the config is being
read correctly.

Its a very very strange behavior I am observing.

There are no errors in the error log...

take this image for example...
on my suse machine
96.38.22.218 - test 31/Aug/2011:14:09:49 GMT "GET
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2011/WORLD/africa/08/30/libya.female.fighter/c1main.libya.teen.rebels.cnn.jpg HTTP/1.1" 200
3333 [0, 2091] imageratio:3333/31833=0.105

the conversion happens without issue.

on the centos the same fetch after clearing all the caches including the browser cache I get this.
96.38.22.218 - test 31/Aug/2011:15:15:43 GMT "GET
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2011/WORLD/africa/08/30/libya.female.fighter/c1main.libya.teen.rebels.cnn.jpg HTTP/1.1" 200
31833 [0, 2]

its as if the proxy is just ignoring that this is a jpg of a size larger than 1000 bytes.

yet... if I go to the following link it works perfectly fine for both machines...

centos
96.38.22.218 - test 31/Aug/2011:15:18:20 GMT "GET http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41yoP5hk0ML._SL500_AA300_.jpg
HTTP/1.1" 200 2123 [0, 1] imageratio:2123/15030=0.141

suse
96.38.22.218 - test 31/Aug/2011:14:18:23 GMT "GET http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41yoP5hk0ML._SL500_AA300_.jpg
HTTP/1.1" 200 2126 [0, 2109] imageratio:2126/15030=0.141

So... why would rabbit distinguish between the two links above? why would it convert one of the jpgs and not the other?

I just installed sun java on the centos machine and still having the same issue.

Clueless here... any hint on what rabbit uses to determine when the image converter should/should not be executed would
greatly be appreciated.

--luis

--

Luis Soltero, Ph.D., MCS