[Rabbit-dev] features for 5

Rick Leir rick.leir at sympatico.ca
Mon Feb 6 11:34:41 CET 2012

On 05/02/2012 6:00 AM, rabbit-dev-request at khelekore.org wrote:
> I would also like to update the cache so that we can cache both
> original and modified content and thus easily can support client
> settings for image compression. I am not sure how big this change
> actually would be, not sure if it would be a 5.x issue, but I think it
> would be.
For a start, we could just cache the uncompressed image. Yes,
performance would be worse, but maybe not by much because images
generally also get cached in browsers. Performance testing would be
useful. (aside: I have been playing with JMeter this weekend, and my
problem is how to throttle 1G Ethernet down to simulate 56K modems. Any
idea how to do this on Linux without getting bursty traffic? )

> I would also like to change some of the http header handling so that
> we do not have to parse dates or cookies or ranges or ... multiple
> times. Currently everything is stored as strings and that is not always
> optimal, but makes some things easy.
Again, performance might not change much, and 'easy' is good in my books.

More about SPDY at:
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~leighton/SPDY.html
Google's index page (with links to experimental server code in Java,
Python, and others):
http://www.chromium.org/spdy
And their server code in C++: ("The flip server is a fully implemented
SPDY server or SPDY-to-HTTP gateway.  Full source is available")
http://src.chromium.org/viewvc/chrome/trunk/src/net/tools/flip_server/

Research to improve response times in high latency Internet browsing
environments using SCTP:
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~nataraja/papers/nsdr2008.pdf
Problem: SCTP won't work with NAT?
Problem: only half of the ISP's allow SCTP ?

cheers -- Rick