[Rabbit-dev] DNS to block malware

Luis Soltero lsoltero at globalmarinenet.com
Wed Dec 15 16:20:09 CET 2010

OpenDNS is a fine service but as stated in my previous posting I don't think that DNS is the optimum way to block sites.
Besides this does nothing for Ads.  The problem with DNS lookup approach is that it takes longer, wastes resources, and
neither AdFilter or BlockFilter are called.

A better approach would be to add code the filtering code to
1. check for local file based tables of ad/malware
or
2. use db based tables
or
3. have the filters do blackhole dns lookups in the filters looking for positive hits.

3 differs than just using OpenDNS because the lookup happens in the Filter code and not in the general url processing
code.  So... if you point the AdFilter code to a ad based blackhole DNS then you can do the NoAd.gif processing.
Similarly if the DNS is a malware blackhole then you do the lookup in BlockFilter and take appropriate action there.

Using OpenDNS the way you currently do you get an invalid DNS lookup and a timeout with less control on how the
processing takes place.

Having said that using your approach is the only option at this time other than manually entering regex expressions into
rabbit.

Thanks for the tip.

--luis

--