[Rabbit-dev] jsmin, YUI

Samat K Jain lists at samat.org
Mon Mar 1 22:57:24 CET 2010

On Monday 01 March 2010 11:27:53 am, Rick Leir wrote:
> There is a comparison (maybe not very scientific) at:
> http://www.askapache.com/tools/online-compression-tool-compares-packer-
jsmi
> n-dojo-and-yui-compressor.html
>
> Use of javascript is increasing, and it takes up a 'large proportion'
> (hand waving here) of browsing comms. I will look around for stats, and
> try some benchmarking.
>
> Another consideration is that we need to trust the YUI or JSMIN not to
> corrupt the javascript. Normally these tools are used at design time vs
> on the fly, and normally someone would do some testing before releasing
> the minified javascript.

This feature may make a lot of sense for RabbIT installations that serve many
end users.

But for everyone else (i.e. one or two users using a RabbIT instance, which I
think is a majority of users), I'm not so sure... JS/CSS minification is
several orders slower than just gzip'ing the files in question (a minifier
needs to parse JS/CSS syntax--gzip doesn't). The minification process is only
worth the time if the same files are requested several times, i.e. it makes
sense for webmasters of large websites or proxies with many users.

--
Samat K Jain <http://samat.org/> | GPG: 0x4A456FBA

Nietzsche was stupid and abnormal.
-- Leo Tolstoy (171)