[Rabbit-dev] Request-URI Too Long

Mindaugas Žakšauskas mindas at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 14:52:35 CET 2011

Hi,

I have seen this error/exception in the error logs more and more
frequently on some well-known sites (eBay, Facebook, possibly others).

The GET request itself which causes this is less than 800
bytes/characters. I have tried to reproduce this by following the same
URL but it returned HTTP 200 OK so I assume this only works in
combination with other headers. Unfortunately I don't have original
headers logged.

This error seems to be coming from HttpHeaderReader:144. I can see a
TODO around here, but not quite sure if this is a placeholder for a
better implementation or just a corner case which is not clear how to
handle properly.

Is there any quick workaround how to fix this? For example, I would
more than happy to have larger buffer allocated as per configuration
setting (similar to http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?11,9470,9514) but
it seems that this is hard coded to 4096 in the Rabbit code.

I would even be willing to recompile Rabbit myself using larger buffer, but:
1) would it solve the problem?
2) is there only one place where the buffer size is set, or are there more?

Thanks in advance.

m.