[Rabbit-dev] ad blocking

Luis Soltero lsoltero at globalmarinenet.com
Sun Jan 2 02:53:52 CET 2011

Hello Robo,

Do the changes you just made affect the interface for the version I am testing?

The version of 4.9 that I have running works perfectly for blocking ads. The only reason to modify the adFilter code is
if someone wanted to handle ads differently than block sites.  I would keep things simple by using the same host table
format that is used for ad blocking.  If you have a hit in the adhost table then you process the url as if it were an
ad.  from what I have seen on the internet there are a number of services that provide hostnames for ad hosts.

here are 2
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
http://pgl.yoyo.org/as/

I don't know of a service that provides urls to ads.

So i suggest that you do
1. nothing and leave things as they are with db host blocking
or
2. implement adHost the same way you do blocked hosts.  You might still allow the ability to use regex with the ad
blocking.

Now that you have database resources it seems it should be very easy to do the ad hosts.

--luis

--

Luis Soltero, Ph.D., MCS
Director of Software Development, CTO