[Rabbit-dev] Prefetch possibility

Robert Olofsson robert.olofsson at khelekore.org
Fri Feb 3 07:17:57 CET 2012

On Thu, 02 Feb 2012 16:19:27 -0700
Samat K Jain <lists at samat.org> wrote:

> Most Web browsers (Firefox, at least) have an option to have the
> proxy server perform DNS requests for you. Unfortunately, AFAIK this
> only works for SOCKS proxies—it won't work w/ RabbIT, which is an
> HTTP proxy.

It was some time since I checked this last, but I think that
when you use a proxy the browser will only query the dns for the
proxy address (if needed, you can specify the proxy as 1.2.3.4).
It is actually the proxy that will do the dns lookups, since it
is the proxy that does the connecting to the real server.

There is a reason rabbit comes with the dnsjava library.

> You might want to look into a feature called "HTTP pipelining".
> RabbIT supports this relatively well (and is one of the few proxies
> that does; Squid's support is terrible).

Rabbits support for client-rabbit connection pipelining is good.

The support for rabbit-server pipelining is not so good, the big
problem is deciding when to use it and then we have the added
complexity of resends if pipelining fails.

/robo