[Rabbit-dev] pipelining

Samat K Jain lists at samat.org
Sat Feb 4 17:44:01 CET 2012

On 02/04/2012 12:46 AM, Robert Olofsson wrote:
> I have looked at it, but just for the executive overview. I have
> not started to read up on the white papers. It would be interesting
> to add support for it. I am a bit worried about the changes required
> though, they would probably be quite big.

Unfortunately, all there is IS the executive interview.

Full client-side support for SPDY and with all the important details it
needs (the ones no one talks about, like SSL false start)? Only in
Google Chrome. Partial support is in Firefox 11 but it is disabled by
default.

Open-source server-side support, also with support for those details?
There's *nothing*. mod-spdy (Apache), which looks the most promising,
does not support multiplexing, a big reason for using SPDY in the first
place.

Lastly a question, do any browsers support communicating to a proxy over
SSL? I don't think any do… so another dead end.

SPDY would be a lot more amazing if it worked outside of Google Chrome
and Google.com. But it doesn't—it might as well be called
Micr^H^HGoogleâ„¢ Proprietary Google.com Internet Server Acceleratorâ„¢.
Google has done a fantastic PR job of getting everyone (except those who
put work into trying to use it) to talk about something that works for
them but no one else.

Since we're fielding unrealistic feature requests, how about:

  * LZO and LZMA compression. DEFLATE and Gzip are so 1989.
  * Some kind of delta transfer support, perhaps using rsync. This one
actually has been done before: http://rproxy.samba.org/
  * JPEG2000, ImageZero, WebP, PGF, <your favorite alternative image
format here> support for re-saving/resampling images
  * Rewrite of RabbIT from Java into Ruby or Node.js. Maybe just assembly.

--
Samat K Jain <http://samat.org/> ▪ GPG: 0x4A456FBA