[Rabbit-dev] Questions about the RabbIT

Robert Olofsson robert.olofsson at khelekore.org
Tue Oct 20 19:00:34 CEST 2009

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 15:39:16 +0500
Артур Хуснутдинов <forpdfsending at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, Dev's.
> After the testing on proxy with the 500 users, I see, what RabbIT have lags
> (too low speed).

Ok, I do not have the users to test like that, I only run a small instance
of rabbit so it will be hard for me to really test like that.

> I know that the slow processing associated with the use of my options
> include compression of images with the help of ImageMagic.

Yes, rabbit uses imagemagic by default, you are very much free to try
out alternatives. I know that convert is not the fastest or most memory
efficient program so it may well be worthwhile to try some alternatives
out.

There are a few different reasons why forking off a convert-process was
done, one of the biggest was that image conversion is heavy, so if the
converter program dies with out-of-memory we do not want the proxy to die.

If you want to look for alternatives I can suggest the graphicsmagick
suite (it is a fork from imagemagick, so probably very easy to try out)
Another alternative that may be useful is ExactImage:
http://www.exactcode.de/site/open_source/exactimage/

>  Recently I developed a compressive other proxies for C ++. I have an
> opportunity to give you the code responsible for compression of images.
> Checked that our proxy for a load of 1500 users using 50-70% CPU, for
> example, Core2Duo 2.33 GHz. Expect that it will be possible not to use
> ImageMagic, and include in the set of our small piece of code in C ++ for
> compressing images.

If you know how to code java it is probably quite easy for you to hook
into/subclass ImageHandler and change the convert call.

The easy way is to do load balancing and scale horizontally, but if
we can find some ways to reduce the image conversion load that is very
nice.

/robo