[Rabbit-dev] Questions about the RabbIT

Robert Olofsson robert.olofsson at khelekore.org
Tue Oct 20 20:33:43 CEST 2009

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 19:00:34 +0200
Robert Olofsson <robert.olofsson at khelekore.org> wrote:

> >  Recently I developed a compressive other proxies for C ++. I have an
> > opportunity to give you the code responsible for compression of images.
> > Checked that our proxy for a load of 1500 users using 50-70% CPU, for
> > example, Core2Duo 2.33 GHz. Expect that it will be possible not to use
> > ImageMagic, and include in the set of our small piece of code in C ++ for
> > compressing images.
>
> If you know how to code java it is probably quite easy for you to hook
> into/subclass ImageHandler and change the convert call.

One thing that would be easy to do is to have an external pool of image
converters that we can call.
Something like ImageHandler holding 10-20 convert processes alive and
when it is time to convert one image grab a converter from the pool and
tell it to run. That would mean no forking and startup and still mean
that when a convert process dies the proxy still lives on.
I do not know of any command line options to convert that can do this,
but maybe there are other image converters that can. It is also possible
to write a small C/C++ wrapper for convert to handle this.

/robo